6 Ways to Overcome Dota 2 Packet Loss
6 Ways to Overcome Dota 2 Packet Loss
As we know Dota 2 is a very popular free online game. Unfortunately this game has a problem that often occurs, namely packet loss and this affects gameplay and can damage the team's strategy to win the game. Dota 2 packet loss can happen to a number of things, but you don't need to worry that everything can be fixed.
What is Dota 2 Packet Loss?
In short, Dota 2 packet loss is no different from any other service. Certain packets that you and the server send to each other fail to reach their destination. In the end you will experience lag and possibly connection timeout. It can also ruin the game for you, your teammates, and even your opponents. But don't worry, you can fix this Dota 2 packet loss easily.
Causes of Dota 2 Loss Packages
There are quite a number of factors that can cause packet loss in Dota 2. However, most of these causes are not specific to the Dota 2 game, so it's likely that you have experienced or found it in other games. Because of this, the most common causes of Dota 2 packet loss are:
* Network overload
* Outdated and unstable device
* Old Ethernet cables
* Uses a wireless connection rather than a wired connection
* Software/hardware errors
* Game servers are overloaded
* ISP restrictions
How to Overcome Dota 2 Packet Loss
Check Where the Packet Loss Occurs
The first step that you have to do is check where the packet loss occurs, whether on your ISP or on the Dota 2 server. To check where the packet loss occurs, you can use the WinMTR application. To use it, follow the steps below:
1. First Download and Run the WinMTR application.
2. In the Host section, you can fill in the Pop IP from your local Dota server, such as (syd.valve.net, sgp-1.valve.net, eat.valv.net, etc.).
3. Then click the Start button and run your Dota 2 game.
WinMTR Dota 2
There you will see where you are getting packet loss (eg between your PC and your router, or somewhere between your ISP and your Valve). You may know that packet loss can occur in 4 different locations:
* Your PC, router, or home network
* Your ISP (and its network)
* Network distribution company
* The Dota 2 game server you connected to
So, depending on the location of the packet loss, there are some actions you can take to solve the problem. That is:
* Check if your PC, router and cables are working properly, not damaged or outdated
* Contact your ISP if the problem seems to be on their side (or a major network distributor)
* Contact the Dota 2 support team if the problem appears to be triggered by the game server
Check Dota 2 Files
If you encounter strange behavior while playing a game, one of the first things I recommend is to verify that your game installation is not corrupted. Steam has a Verify Integrity of Game Files feature, this will compare the files on your computer with those on the Steam server. If some files are different, they will be modified or corrected. Your stored data will not be affected. On Steam, you can do this by following the instructions below:
1. Open Steam.
2. Find Library, right click on your dota game and select "Properties" from the menu.
Dota 2 Properties
3. Select the “Local Files” tab and click the “Verify integrity of game cache…” button
Verify integrity of Dota 2 game cache
4. Steam will verify your Dota 2 game files, this process may take a few minutes.
Validating Dota 2 Files
5. Once the process is complete and all files found to be corrupt will be re-downloaded by Steam.
Use Low-End Networks
To run the Dota 2 game normally you need an internet connection speed of at least 1MBps (1 Mega Bytes per second). If your packet loss is caused by your unstable internet connection, you can try the Dota 2 Low-end Network feature, this feature changes the rate and cl_updaterate to half of the original values (from 30000 and 30 to 15000 and 15). So your internet only needs half the bandwidth to do the same thing. To do this, follow the steps below:
1. Open your Dota 2 game.
2. Go to the Dota 2 Settings menu.
3. Select the Options tab, then at the bottom click the TO ADVANCED OPTIONS button.
Dota 2 TO ADVANCED OPTIONS
4. Then in the Network Quality section select I have a Low-end Network.
Network Quality Dota 2
So simply if you have bad ping use Low-end Network and if you have good ping then use High-end Network.
Use the Region Command List
There are several ways to fix the Packet Loss In or Out problem in Dota 2, namely by entering console commands that will refresh your server to the new and better one. But before that, we must first activate the Command Console in Dota 2.
1. Open Steam and open Library.
2. Find Dota 2 and right click then Properties.
3. In the General Tab, press the Set Launch Options button.
Set Launch Options. Dota 2
4. Then type the following command in the text box: -console
Dota 2 -console
5. Run Dota 2 and open Settings, and open Hotkeys. Then click TO ADVANCED Hotkeys. In the Interface section of the console, you fill in \
HOTKEYS Console Dota 2
6. Then in the chat section type \ then press enter, the Console menu will open, then type the following command:
sdr sdRClient_ForceRelayCluster hkg
Dota 2 Consoles
You need to know this command will reduce packet loss but it will also increase ping on your Dota 2, so use this command if you have an optimal connection, because the hkg in this command is the region for Hong Kong which is the second closest location we have. Actually, by default we are in the SGP or Singapore area. If you are from another country, please select the nearest server code location from the list below.
Region Command List
Bomb Mumbai, India
dxb Dubai, United Arab Emirates
eat Moses Lake, Washington, United States
fra Frankfurt, Germany
gru Sao Paulo, Brazil
HK Hong Kong
lax Los Angeles, California, United States
Lim Lima, Peru
lux Luxembourg, Belgium
maa Chennai, India
Mad Madrid, Spain
man Manila, Philippines
okc Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
ord Chicago, United States
scl Santiago, Chile
sea Seattle, United States
sha Shanghai, People's Republic of China
sto Stockholm, Sweden
syd Sydney, Australia
toyo Tokyo, Japan
wow Warsaw, Poland
Use Another Dota 2 Server
As we know Dota 2 has several servers and they are selected automatically based on the lowest ping, Often in the Asian region, the server that is often chosen is the SE Asia server because it has a low ping.
But this could cause the game server to be overloaded because there are too many players there, moreover, Dota 2 players often complain about problems that occur on the SE Asia server. For that you can change your Dota 2 server location manually. Follow the steps below to select a Dota 2 server manually:
1. Open your Dota 2 game.
2. Click the Play Dota button.
3. Then at the bottom click Region.
Dota 2 Regions
4. Click the Refresh Ping button and select another Dota 2 server besides Se Asia which has a low ping.
Select Region Dota 2
Use a VPN
If your ISP, for example Indihome, is the cause of packet loss. The way to overcome dota 2 indihome packet loss is to use a VPN. You don't need to worry, there are many free VPN service providers, one of which is Proton VPN.
But if the problem is with the game itself triggering the packet loss, using a VPN won't help much. In fact, it can be difficult to choose a longer route between you and the Dota 2 server.
To be safe, run a packet loss test before you switch to a VPN. You can do it easily in the way described above. If everything seems fine, the Dota 2 servers may be to blame.
So those are some ways to overcome Dota 2 packet loss. Simply put packet loss has no definite cause most of the time. Also, it can happen randomly and disappear easily, without you noticing it. As such, you may want to try out the fixes we suggest, and don't be afraid to ask for help if you don't think you can handle it.
Post a Comment